Experts are constantly claiming that even though cold water is much more refreshing, the consumption of warm water is more beneficial. In ancient Chinese and Indian culture, the consumption of hot water was believed to help digestion, relieve congestion, and relax the nervous system.
Most of us usually have a fresh, hot cup of coffee or tea in the morning, to warm our bodies after getting out of bed. And if we drink water, we prefer it cold.
However, according to the ancient Ayurveda, we have it all wrong. The regular consumption of warm water in the morning heals the bodies, provides digestive power and reduces metabolic waste that could have accumulated in our immune system.
Stella Metsovas, clinical nutritionist and media health expert in Food and Nutrition Sciences, claims that numerous physicians recommend drinking warm water in the morning, usually, with a polyphenol-rich lemon immersion, or with a tea, as a way to reduce the activity of free radicals in the body.
This habit will also tighten the intestines, and optimize elimination. On the other hand, cold water is devoid of many essential minerals that can negatively affect the digestive tract when consuming a meal, so she recommends refraining from drinking 20 minutes before meals, even if you drink natural spring water.
Yet, remember that you should not drink water that is warmer than 160 degrees Fahrenheit, to avoid burns.
Additionally, you should add lemon juice to the water to enrich its medicinal properties. Lemon will also strengthen the immune system, protect against colds and the flu, accelerate metabolism, and detoxify the body.
Here are the health benefits offered by the consumption of warm lemon water every morning:
- This drink will improve digestion since the warm water will widen the blood vessels and boost the blood flow to the intestines. It will detoxify the system and improve the function of the liver.
- It will boost the elimination of toxins from the body by elevating the body temperature and stimulating sweating.
- It will accelerate metabolism, prevent food cravings, eliminate waste and excess water, and help weight loss.
- This beverage will increase blood circulation throughout the body.
- It will soothe the nervous system, improve mood, and stabilize emotions.
- It will stimulate the intestines and improve the healthy function of the digestive system, treating constipation. Lemon is rich in pectin, which improves gut health, regulates blood sugar, and ensures regular bowel movements.
- This drink will heal colds and sinus infections since it will help mucus to travel faster and will accelerate the recovery. It will clear the sinuses and help breathing.
- It relieves tension, reduces stress levels, treats insomnia, and relaxes the mind by soothing the central nervous system.
- The warm lemon water in the morning will hydrate the body after the night, and energize the system.
- Studies have shown that warm water is of great help in the case of achalasia, a condition where food has trouble moving from the esophagus down into the stomach, making swallowing difficult.
Therefore, substitute your morning cup of coffee with a glass of warm lemon water and you will experience amazing health benefits!